Tractor Pulling Database

Farmgirl

Be sure to santitize the input to any form before using in code. Put the following into your search field and see what happens (won't do any damage):

// put this into your search box
<script language="javascript">alert('xss attack');</script>

Thanks for your input Neil, but how do I 'sanitize' the input?  It's not an area I am familiar with.  If you could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Data from a form post or url parameters is held in the $_POST or $_GET array (in the case of a form decided by the form method <form method="post>)

You should clean this data prior to placing in any function or database query. Some simple functions:

<?php
// data from form is in post array
$searchString = $_POST['searchterm'];
// check that the value is not balnk
if(strlen(trim($searchString))) {
// remove any injected html
$searchString = strip_tags(trim($searchString));
// perform search query and escape variable
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE x LIKE '".mysql_real_escape_string($searchString)."%'");
print "Your search for: ".$searchString." returned ".mysql_num_rows($searchString)." results"; 
}
else {
print "Please enter a valid search term";
}
?>

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.