Role of 'TITLE' in SEO ?

avvllvva

Is it better to keep changing the TITLE of website weekly ?

Can anybody explain how the crawling programs treat the website's title? How long it will take to reflect ?

Suppose I'm going to change my website's titles every week with different keywords, so the crawlers would cache the previous titles or it simply look for existing title?

can anybody explain the basiscs of this ? please..

Hi Avvllvva

im not an expert in SEO but from what i understand the title is used to inform the crawling programs what your page is about, im not sure that changing it every week is a real benefit. As long as it is relevant to your page then its fine.

I do know that the crawling programs/robots come back more often if it knows that your content is changed regularly. so it is a good idea to keep the content on your page up to date. The more often you change your content the more regular robots will visit your site.

hope that helps a little.

While I too am not an SEO expert, the strategy of constantly changing the title tag doesn't make sense (nor is a good strategy) imo. I get the sense that you think that if you keep changing the keywords within the title, all the previous ones get cached (and thus considered) ontop of current ones.. I highly doubt this is the case (as this lends to SEO cheating, which I would gather search engine developers have probably already thought about).

Excerpt from Building Findable Websites:

The <title> tag is one of the most important places to position your keywords and phrases. There are a few factors to keep in mind when creating an effective title tag:
  • It should not be a wholesale dumping ground for your keywords and phrases. Keep it concise (less than 12 words) and natural rather than an everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink listing.
  • Make sure your title tag is written to serve humans too, as it is still a critical component of navigation and usability on a website.
  • The title tag is the main heading and link to a site when shown on search results pages, and often determines whether or not an user decides to visit your site.
  • Write your title tags in such a way that they can be easily read in stats applications like Google Analytics and Mint

Sounds to me like you should research and carefully choose effective / relevant keywords and construct your title tag accordingly. Constantly changing a page's title would cause a flux in SERPs (I would imagine), which make it difficult to gauge your SEO progress in that regard. Take your time and formulate a well written title tag and stick with it. The more time and effort you put into it upfront will help out later.

Also keep in mind that SEO is much more than a title tag. Site age, copy, portions that are emphasised, heading tags (like <h1>, <h2> etc..), description tag and a whole slew of other things come into play with regards to SEO effectiveness. While title tags are very important, there are far more factors involved in the grand scheme of 'SEO secret sauce recipies' for result page success.

There is no real advantage & certainly a possible dissadvantage to swapping your title tags on a regular basis.

Build relevant content with good (related) title tags, then build more pages for variations on that keyphrase.

Google will 'see' your change in about a day / week depending on how often your site gets spidered (which depends on how much traffic (and IBLs) your site has.

Google however, won't reflect that change in the SERPs for a month, so you'll only get a benefit (if there's one to be had - depending on your chosen new TITLE tags) for every 4th change.

In short, if you're tags are well optimised, leave well alone & look to build IBLs and more relevant content.

I highly recommend this SEO forum as a great resource for SEO.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.