PHP code will not update Mysql

Derby Artists

I don't think Maq's problem was that you were a beginner. Trust me there are hundreds of beginners on this forum. Its more that a lot of beginners tend to try to overreach themselves with projects they try to do. It isn't that we don't expect people to make beginner mistakes, its that when they are making beginner mistakes when trying to do code that is of an intermediate to advanced level. It makes it much harder to explain the mistakes when they don't understand the basics. You may be fired if you told one of your students they were irritating because they couldn't do something basic, but would you get fired if you advised a students to choose to learn the basics before they tried to build a car from scratch (sorry I couldnt think of a better metaphor, don't know anything about cars)

however, this may or may not apply to you

Mikesta I fully appreciate what you are saying but my point is that there is two approaches that could of been taken.

1. to say I am irritating

2.the other way is a ampersand "&" means And and this is used for "bla bla"

$ is for variables and used for "bla bla"

My main point is Patience is a virtue

I find your replies a little unfair, although I agree that you should read, try and understand before you post on forums if you read the post you will see I have tried I didnt come here with no code, and if you also read the post correctly I did mention that I was "LAYMAN" and NEW to PHP, we all need to start somewhere.

Life's unfair, get used to it.  I did read the post and saw your code, it possessed basic mistakes that are mentioned in the first chapter of every PHP learning book.  Mikesta is right, my problem isn't that you're a beginner, and by hundreds he means 10's of thousands of beginners, it's that you're trying to perform something intermediate without even knowing the extreme fundamentals of the language.  Trust me, it's not frowned upon on this forum, but every programming forum.  I have no clue where you got that code from and getting that far with those types of errors is beyond me.

I hope people were a little more helpful when you were on the steep learning curve.

If people see that you try and have meticulously read through books and tutorials then yes, people were "a little more helpful".  Actually helpful is exactly what I was to you.  By you going back to the basics may teach you not to dig yourself in a hole.  I'm not trying to be a dick, none of us are, we are all here voluntarily trying to help one another, it's just that you can't just warp to applications like this without knowing what the code is doing.

I will enlighten you into the 3 different learning styles

Visual...People who learn from reading/watching

Auditory....People who learn by listening

Kinesthetic...People who learn by doing

I come into a Kinesthetic learner

So you don't actually read books, documentation, tutorials etc... ?

if at any point you found me irritating, my response is "I didnt personally ask you to answer the question", if people irritate you stay away from their post, half the reason for forums is to help people at all stages of development, not just people with the same knowledge on the subject as yourself.

I don't find you irritating, just the approach you took, or lack there of.  I feel it's my duty, and on behalf of the programming community, to give my personal opinion.  I assessed your code, the lack of jargon you used in your posts, and thought it would be best if you go back to the basics and learn what the code is actually doing instead of designing code that looks like you copied and pasted from here and there and contrived it together.

My current job is a technical trainer with Audi, and if my superiors found that I told my students they were irritating because they couldnt pick the basic firing order of an engine then I would no longer be in a job.

Yes I understand that.  But if you had a student that didn't know what a tire or engine was then you would be irritated, not at the person (well maybe) but the fact that they're basically wasting your time.  It's like me trying to build an engine, I know the major components of an engine, but by no mean could I build one.

Anyway, this post is getting too long, sorry if I came off as a dick, or still do, but when I see code that lacks the basics it usually means that you didn't even try to learn them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.