Which framework is best for this...

php_dev_101

I want to write an application with PHP / MySQL I would appreciate your thoughts on any frameworks that might be suitable to fullfill the following requirements:

[*]Security is the number one concern.

[*]Scalability is important, thousands of users but I would like to allow for larger expansion (optimistic I know!  8) ).

[*]The website needs to be 100% localisable. I want to support four languages initially and have the ability to add more later. It would be ideal to get the language set by reading the users regional and language settings. To facilitate localisation I think all text content should be stored in the database.

[*]Users will register on the website using a method like PHPFreaks uses. The user enters an email address and a mail is sent to that address with an activation link.

[*]The website will use jQuery for the UI.

I have some experience in PHP but would not consider myself an expert by any means!

I considered Concrete5 but I heard it might be vulnerable to attacks (SQL injestion?). I don't need a CMS as I prefer to update the content manually. I also didn't like the enormous amount of files that Concrete5 generated, my site will only have about 8 pages and I only need to record users data, nothing complicated. Basically I need a framework, not a CMS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PHP Dev 101

Thank you Vikela,

Can you explain what you mean by 'trick scenario'? Do you mean you think my planned project will be a tricky one?

Your recommendation for Kohana is interesting, I think that is a branch of Code Ignitor (or maybe Cake). Is it more advanced and user friendly than Code Ignitor? More comments from the community are most welcome.

PHP Dev

I want to write an application with PHP / MySQL I would appreciate your thoughts on any frameworks that might be suitable to fullfill the following requirements:

[*]Security is the number one concern.

[*]Scalability is important, thousands of users but I would like to allow for larger expansion (optimistic I know!  8) ).

[*]The website needs to be 100% localisable. I want to support four languages initially and have the ability to add more later. It would be ideal to get the language set by reading the users regional and language settings. To facilitate localisation I think all text content should be stored in the database.

[*]Users will register on the website using a method like PHPFreaks uses. The user enters an email address and a mail is sent to that address with an activation link.

[*]The website will use jQuery for the UI.

I have some experience in PHP but would not consider myself an expert by any means!

I considered Concrete5 but I heard it might be vulnerable to attacks (SQL injestion?). I don't need a CMS as I prefer to update the content manually. I also didn't like the enormous amount of files that Concrete5 generated, my site will only have about 8 pages and I only need to record users data, nothing complicated. Basically I need a framework, not a CMS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PHP Dev 101

Zend Framework looks good for you.

Hi,

There is no "right" framework for you. Most of the frameworks out there meets your requirements.

A person familiar with zend, will tell you zend, one familiar with cakePHP will tell you cake ... etc...

It's a personal choice - just like picking a javascript framework ;)

If you're not that much into php, chose a framework YOU find easy to use. Read the docs of the different frameworks!

//jkejser

'cough' .. CodeIgniter .. 'cough' ....

The one thing I like about CodeIgniter (and CakePHP) over Zend is that there is a defined set of principles to follow to get your website cracking straight away.  Zend is extremely powerful (moreso than most other frameworks), but there is very little "hand holding" in leading you through the tutorials.  Particularly after the release of 1.8, it's taking the documentation a little while to catch up.

I would highly recommend CodeIgniter, if only for their documentation.  Most frameworks are offering similar outcomes, with varying promises on reliability, scalibility and security along with "pretty" URLs and such.

The CodeIgniter community is extremely friendly, and most importantly it's centralised.  Everybody goes to the same place (although there are numerous third-party forums and doc sites out there), and everybody reads the same outcomes.

I've used CodeIgniter for developing UTF-8 supported web apps, but ended up hand building logic to determine the user's chosen language from the HTTP request information.

Hopefully that provides a little insight.  Best of luck with your project!

Josh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd also recommend codeigniter although it is the one I use so I'm partial.  It's the most popular and offers a lot of native support for multiple databases, languages, etc.  It runs with PHP4 or PHP5 as well.  It claims to be the fastest framework which tends to mean the lowest footprint which is important for multi user sites.  That being said how you design your page makes a difference on overall performance.  Using some clever javascript (JQuery is awesome) can cut your load as well.  Have javascript validate forms before they get submitted.  Use ajax for grabbing stuff when it won't break history.  As far as security codeigniter can clean passed strings to protect against cross site scripting.  It also offers a form validation library which can help with keeping bad data out.  Most security is up to you though. 

• 2 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.