External HDD recovery

ozestretch

I have a maxtor one touch series 4, 1TB

It has software installed for the one touch backup service (which doesn't get used)

One day the bloody thing decided it required a password to access EVERYTHING on it.

After many google forums searches, I found that this is a common, user uninitiated event.

Basically I been told to format the drive and I can access it.... but I have months of manual photo scanned images on there, plus many other items.

Basically, what are my options for recovery of the items.

1) Delete partition then recover files.... but do I need to recover partition first, in which case software with password is still active

2: Remove from enclosure (looks like I have to break it to get HDD out) and plug straight into SATA (will this cause the software to run still? I assumed it only activated when connected via USB)

If I connect it to a computer, it does not show in my computer nor in manage when right click on my computer. If I boot up with a disc with Acronis Disk Director, it sees the drive but says it has 2 partitions, one of 6??GB the other 3??gb (the remainder) but the hard drive was only ever showing as 1 drive of 9??gb before the password appeared.

If I install the Maxtor software onto my computer, then I can access the drive (well it asks for a password anyways) but still won't show in my computer. The software simply asks to enter password, or click here to delete/format the drive.

Anyways, not sure if this made sense, 1 6 pack into my birthday and remembered I still had not sorted this so thought i'd ask the xperts here....

The issue is accessing the actual drive.

Maxtor has software installed on the actual HDD that provides the ability to password protect not only the contents, but access of the drive itself.

Basically, if you plugged my external into your pc, you wouldn't see it in 'my computer' nor in 'manage' when right clicking 'my computer'

If you install maxtor software onto your pc, it asks for the password (which is stored on the external drive) and after a few tries, tells you to shutdown the external to try again.

My mum (is her HDD), against my recommendations uses 4 passwords for anything, but none of them work (but no one created the password either)

I am kinda stumped and google has only resulted in other people with same issues and no real solutions (except one did remove the HDD and plug it into the mobo directly)

What is the DOS method?

He meant accessing the files through the command prompt. Have you contacted the manufacturers about this? If it's a common problem surely asking them how to sort it would be the best solution.

Basically I been told to format the drive and I can access it... <-- that was from Maxtor Support

Note to self: put Maxtor hardware on blacklist

Have you tried to access the drive using some other OS?

If that doesn't work, then ripping the case and plugging the HD directly to MB is probably the only solution.

Note to self: put Maxtor hardware on blacklist

It is a seagate HDD.... just steer clear of the maxtor enclosures!

Have you tried to access the drive using some other OS?

Several different machines running xp (home sp2 and pro sp3) or vista. Same result.

ripping the case and plugging the HD directly to MB is probably the only solution.

I am thinking that to be the only way around it (if I want to save the data anyway)

For the record, if you do enough google searches you will see is not an uncommon issue (A lot of cons about it all so you can back up with one touch of a button) personally I use software on my pc to schedule and manual back up...

Mum will ask more questions when she buys computer hardware next time.

To note, after reading even more on maxtor site, they say before you plug it into a new computer, you need to remove the lock or else the lock can not be removed by a secondary computer.....

IS THAT LOGICAL?

You place a password on an external HDD to protect the contents... and use of external hdd is to make it portable... but you can't have protection during transit as the password must be removed prior to use on secondary machines...

I think I seen an invention for a square wheel once... wonder if it was conceived by the same people!?

By different OS I meant Linux of some kind. You can try to boot one from CD and see if you can access contents. If you can, it will be just another proof people at Maxtor screwed up this design... so it's worth a shot :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.