Changing Nameserver of a Domain

cags

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place, I figured 'Web Server Administration' would be the right sort of section, but none of the forums seemed to fit my question.

So on to the matter at hand. I've developed a small website for a friend and I'm having trouble with regards to DNS. My friend bought their Domain through BT (his ISP). Unfortunately their basic hosting package has no support for PHP or MySQL so to get around this I opened an account on 000webhosts to host his files. The issue at hand now is how to correctly point his Domain to these files. 000webhost tells me that I need to update the 'nameserver' to ns01.000webhost.com and ns02.000webhost.com but I have no idea how this may be achieved.

BT has a Domain management section, which I've had a look through, but I'm not sure the relevant information was there. There was Forwarding, which allows me to redirect to another URL (I set one up with 000webhosts, but obviously by forwarding the URL the address bar doesn't read the value that we wish it to. It also allows frame, but again that means regardless of navigation on the site the address bar always reads the same.

Any suggests as to how I can successfully change the Nameserver so that http://www.domain.com points to the nameservers provided by ns01.000webhost.com, allowing the true URLs to work? I'm guesssing I will have to contact BT and get them to do it in someway. Infact I'm sure at one point I saw a link to request it, but I'll be damned if I can find any reference to it now.

We had a client that bought their domain via BT a while back - I remember not being able to find these settings either. I think we phoned BT and they made the changes for us while I was on the phone to them.

My friend already rang them and they claimed they couldn't help, but that was when he was still hosting his files with them and simply wanted the domain to point to his BT homespace, so perhaps knowing a namespace server he wishes to change to will help matters.

I've been fishing about in the BT settings some more and have come up with...

Please fill in this simple form to notify us of your intention to transfer your existing domain name away from BT.

Domain Name: TEXTBOX HERE

New Registrar : TEXTBOX HERE

This sounds a lot more like what I'm looking for, but I'm hesitant to fill it in without knowing for sure.

That would be to transfer the domain to another registrar, such as 123-reg or 1&1, or whatever. You will then pay the new company to renew your domain rather than BT, you'll also have more control over the settings, such as nameservers. To do this, you normally just give BT the new registrars IPS Tag, then they transfer it, you then set-up a transfer in your account with the new registrar to "receive" the transfer.

To avoid all of that though, you just need to ask BT to change the nameservers associated with your domain.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.