Basics of Object Oriented Programming

stublackett

Hi Guys,

Looking to teach a small course on OOP. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of notes that may be able to help me in terms of making notes towards the basics of OOP. Could be handy for me too, still struggling with PHP5 from time to time ::)

Hi Guys,

Looking to teach a small course on OOP. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of notes that may be able to help me in terms of making notes towards the basics of OOP. Could be handy for me too, still struggling with PHP5 from time to time ::)

What do you know of OOP currently?  And, how basic is this course going to be?  Your initial post doesn't inspire confidence, and it's hard to point you in the right direction without knowing both your skill level and what the course is specifically geared towards.

Hi Guys,

What do you know of OOP currently?  And, how basic is this course going to be?  Your initial post doesn't inspire confidence, and it's hard to point you in the right direction without knowing both your skill level and what the course is specifically geared towards.

In terms of OOP I'm confident with Java and its principles.

Struggle at times with PHP5s' bits and pieces.

The course is just looking to be an introduction to OOP, Probably Java as thats the one I'm more confident with, I'll be teaching 14-16 year olds at a basic level and also be hoping to maybes pick up on some areas I may have missed out. Which will help me generalise OOP across coding types JAVA, PHP, ASP and C#

In terms of the basics, just stick with the obvious.  Encapsulation (visibility keywords (private, protected, public), determining which parts of the object should be publicly available to the rest of the system), inheritance, composition, inheritance vs. composition, and polymorphism.  The kinds of things that make up the first few chapters of any OOP book.

If possible, it may be in your best interest to give examples to your students in both Java and PHP.  That would help illustrate that OOP concepts are applicable in a variety of different environments and languages.

If you're having issues with PHP's OOP stuff, you should check out Matt Zandstra's book PHP 5: Objects, Patterns, and Practice.  It's essentially a blend of J2EE Enterprise Patterns and the Gang of Four's Design Patterns..., but with examples written entirely in PHP.  I doubt there's a better PHP-centric OOP book available.

You could get ideas from curriculum from somewhere else (get ideas, not steal :P).

For example, I don't know what country you're from, but in the US there are AP (advanced placement) classes that count towards college credit if the student gets a certain grade on an exam.  You could look over the AP Computer Science curriculum.  (Should be somewhere on collegeboard.com.)

By the way, are you struggling with the syntax of PHP?  Design patterns, or what?  Not trying to patronize, but if you're struggling with the basics you should probably avoid teaching a class.

Struggling with syntax and design is different though, and it sounds like you're good with Java so that's probably not going to be a problem.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.