Help with query

Stephen68

I'm getting an error trying to run this query, was wondering if somebody could peek at it and let me know what

is wrong with it. Is it the browser agent type that is messing it up?

INSERT INTO logs (' ','2009-10-10','127.0.0.1','innovate','Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)')

Thanks for any help that I might get, funny thing is I thought it was working before lol..

Stephen

Why in gods name do so many people say "I'm getting an error" and not bother listing what error it is? Help others to help yourself. My guess is the first field in your database is an autoincrement column and it doesn't like the space.  :shrug:

sorry I normaly do post everthing

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''','2009-10-10','127.0.0.1','innovate','Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0;' at line 1

I took out the space out but for some reason there looks to be another quote, that might be part of the

error message though. The first field is autoincrement.

I fixed it but still don't know what was wrong with the first version. I change the query to adding field names

and then values.

INSERT INTO logs (field,field,field) VALUES ('value','value',value')

It work's not but if you can think of why the other way didn't I surely would like to know.

Stephen

It depends on the version of MySQL you have. Some allow to insert an autoincrement value with '', others require that you submit nothing for it, meaning you have to specify the fields and values for all other items.

Like it's been said above it's more than likely the auto_increment. did you specify the fieldname and value for that in your latest query that is running? if you have an auto increment field it's always best to use NULL for it's value without any quotation marks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.