Just a question....

galvin

How many rows can a MySQL database table hold?  Is it unlimited?

I have a site that has approximately 1,000 entries (i.e. rows) being put into one of my MySQL tables everyday.  So this will obviously add up.  Say this keeps up for a year, I will have over 350,000 rows in that one table and counting.

Will performance be affected by having that many rows?  Or can MySQL handle a lot more rows than I'll ever have to worry about it?

The absolute image (irrespective of row size - and thus file system) is the limit of the primary key.

The Archive format has no primary key, consiquently you may not update records, only add and select (not sure on delete) but it presents near unlimited (if not unlimited) file storage.

Also MySQL does split files when they get too large, there is an option for it in the mysql gui tools administrator, but it only apears when it is connected to localhost. (not me being weird, its the server variable page, where you set its starting parameters)

if you have a primary key of an integer, i belive the limit is 65365 rows.... i'm really not sure.

but the hard limit is the maxium value of the primary key.

Hope i helped, pretty sure its all on the MySQL website, just google "mysql integer" or something.

if you need something really big and intger

use the type bigint its like twice the size (has a 20 in brackets, does that mean 2^20 or 20 digits?)

mediumint bout half of integer

tinyint ... really small.

Goodluck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.