How do I give a developer access to a specific directory and nothing else?

OM2

I want to give a develop access to a specific directory and nothing else

I can give them an FTP account with access to a sub directory, but this doesn't exactly solve the problem!

1. They can write PHP code to access other directories below and have FULL access to *everything*!

2. What if I could solve problem 1 somehow (I have no idea how!), but then I wanted them to have *only* access to a directory but NOT to sub directories contained under that directory?

I'd always given developers a sub directory in which to put their code - I'd never actually ever thought that they could access the whole domain!

So: how can I make sure they only have access to what I want?

Thanks

OM

The way I do it is I use a subdomain in plesk and assign a username/password with that. Then duplicate the site and db (if one exists) and then edit out the majority of unwanted/sensitive stuff. Don't think there is any other solution that will work to be honest

Some more information would be required off you in order to get a better understanding such as

Operating System this is running on

What control panel you are using (cpanel, plesk etc)

thank u for the reply - much appreciated

hmmm... from now on, i'm never going to give sub directory logins!

i never thought about it before

what i normally do (on other occassions) is register a .info website

and get them to develop on that

my OS is linux + cpanel

let me know if u can suggest anything with regards to this

thanks

yes, i think i'll start using subdomains from now on

developers, trust hasn't really been a problem

it's findind good and reliable ones that's my problem :(

i've almost given up - and am considering skilling myself up on php

i don't really want to do this - i'd rather concentrate on marketing and selling    :(

Well you'd need to use completely separate cpanel accounts in order to do it that way (just making a subdomain presents the exact same problem). If you ever need any PHP work doing send me a pm/e-mail sometime and I'm sure I'll be able to work something out :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.