Is ER Model Knowledge important for every programer?

xcoderx

Is ER Model Knowledge important for every programer?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is ER Model Knowledge important for every programer?

• Somewhat
    • Yes very important
    • No

I don't even know what it is, so I guess it's not that important for me.

Ok, so I just looked it up - an ER model could possibly be the same thing as an EER diagram. This is something that I have only recently got into when I started using MySQL Workbench to map out my database schemas. I find it useful to do as it highlights any potential problems I may have had down the line, whereas before I was just writing out table/field names on a sheet of paper. It has also indirectly introduced me to the foreign key constraints feature of the InnoDB database, which looks to be quite useful.

I got by the last 8 years without EER diagrams though. They're useful/helpful, but they're not essential to a project. They're probably more useful to a team of developers, but I develop solo 99% of the time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.