Question about domain names and SEO practises

gabs

Hi, I have a questions that pertains to 2 of my websites, I've had these website for more than 5 years - atleast one of them. The one is www.rightmove.co.za - my question with this one is:

1. the domain is a south african domain name, the hosting server is in the US will this descriminate against the site?

2. There is a very poplur site with same name in the uk, how can I over come this because they spend millions a year on seo so if someone puts in rightmove, they get mostly the uk site.

Next domain is: www.buyorselldomainnames.net someone told me that if you have key words in your domain name it is good, is it? because this makes the domain really long..

I don't think it matters where your webserver is located.

If somebody searches for "right move" or "rightmove", and the other site spends millions of dollars on SEO, and you don't get listed on the first page of results, I really doubt you are going to be able to do anything about this. Perhaps change your domain name.

It is good to have keywords in the domain name.

• 4 weeks later...

It matters somewhat where your site is hosted.

If you are targeting people in a particular country, then it is best to host the website on a server in that country. It is only minor however.

When searching/googling for terms remember that where you are based will return different results. If you go to Brazil and search for a term, and go to the UK and search on google you will get different results returned.

I agree with BestEast. If you want to improve SEO, you need to update your content, have regular content updated. Work on getting good quality links in to your website.

-steve

• 1 month later...

You could start by fixing your code so that it validates, but before you even do that.... what's with all the illegible text?  Have a look at the Google Webmaster guidelines.

If you are targeting SA then host in SA.  If you are not then get yourself a .com domain.

I'm wondering if you were really looking for advice, or just a link.  It looks like you are using out dated SEO practice that will get you in hot water these days.

The UK site can't be spending that much.  They still have a lot of room for improvement to their onpage SEO.  Then again, if they are at number one, then they don't have to worry about it.  It's good news for you though.  They are not invulnerable.

From the UK I've heard of 'rightmove', I think they advertise on TV in particular as apposed to web-based advertising / SEO. Whilst you'll never top them on the UK Google charts, due to the amount they'll put into advertising, as others have said different results will be returned in other countries. This is what you need to focus on with your SEO, that it's South African property.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.