[SOLVED] 404 as a Class / ID Identifier

dave_sticky

Hi guys,

I came across an interesting issue that I'm not sure I understand. Working on CSS for a website, I wanted to apply a class to an ID box. So...

// The CSS

#content {
display: block;
position: relative;
float: left;
width: 300px;
height: 10px;
border-width: 1px;
border-style: solid;
}

#content.404 {
border-color: #990000;
}

#content.blah {
border-color: #990000;
}

// The HTML

<div id="content" class="blah"></div>
<!-- The above will give me a box with a red border, but... -->

<div id="content" class="404"></div>
<!-- That one gives me a box with a black border. They should be the same (ie, red). -->

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Can CSS not handle certain characters when defining classes?

Just a bit confused, as it took me about 45 minutes to realise this was happening, and I'd quite like to know what the problem is! Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Perhaps this is what your referring to...

In CSS1, a class name could start with a digit (".55ft"), unless it was a dimension (".55in"). In CSS2, such classes are parsed as unknown dimensions (to allow for future additions of new units). To make ".55ft" a valid class, CSS2 requires the first digit to be escaped (".\35 5ft")

Source: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/grammar.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.