phpmailer un-delivered emails?

wejofost

Users of our websites leave us their email addresses for us to reply to.  Sometimes they make mistakes in their email addresses that our email address checks cannot determine ( bad spelling etc ).

I am using Phpmailer but when I send an email that cannot be delivered ( because of an invalid email address) I do not get a delivery failed message?

When sending emails with PhpMailer is there a specific address to catch undelivered mails?

Where should I expect to see an undeliverable mail message?

Your assuming that it's undelivered, whereas infact it's just not recieved by the person it's intended for. If you mistype joebloggs@domain.com as jobloggs@domain.com it's highly likely it'll be a valid e-mail address. Because of the amount of spam about, alot of servers don't bother sending a message back saying it's failed, they just recieve it and throw it away.

Good point "cags".  However from time to time when I make a simple (typing/transposition?) mistake in the address in sending an email, using say outlook, I do get some responses saying message undeliverable.  If an email was undeliverable would Phpmailer attempt to send such an undeliverable report?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.