garbage

Dorky

As in what? Or pre-built like explode()? string_length()? (Er don't remember the exact name of that function.) I can give you some reasons for that.

Or pre-built as in PHPBB? Many people consider forums as the "wheel" of internet and find it redundant to re-invent the "wheel".

So you are saying pre-built as in not pre-built? PHPBB isn't pre-built. (I don't know why I said it was in my first post.) So you mean "3rd party PHP programs are garbage".

I guess thats largely true as they can always be made better, but do you want to spend X amount of time for Y amount of improvement? (Assuming you even improve something in the first place!)

i see a lot of folks drop into the php coding section with problems they have trying to use some over written script they found somewhere on the net and it seems counterproductive to struggle with it rather then building their own and learning something they will obviously need to know in the future.

i see a lot of folks drop into the php coding section with problems they have trying to use some over written script they found somewhere on the net and it seems counterproductive to struggle with it rather then building their own and learning something they will obviously need to know in the future.

You learn by doing one simple thing at a time, until you have a house of knowledge, brick after brick being put down, adding up to a summed knowledge.

You don't just place a brick on the third floor when the first two are made out of air.

Otherwords, you learn before you construct.

Or unless you are saying you are a magical being with the ability to give everyone the knowledge of making a forum by you yourself learning it as you learning it won't help others unless you are the one with the problem of modifying an existing forum.

Although, don't think I'm saying that you should only use PHPBB or whatever other forum code. Professionals (Not as in a M.D. professional, but as in like a Runescape.com professional. They are professionals and if they had PHPBB, they would look newbish) need their own forum or it makes them look amateur hour. (No offense PHPFreaks.)

yeah...see how far that outlook gets you when (if) you start working in the real world.

lmfao, everything from garbage man, cook, to atm technician and tech support.@32. but i guess that doesnt count.  :'(

All I'm saying is that your OP screams "I haven't really had to deal with projects/clients asking for really difficult/impossible stuff, done in really difficult/impossible time frames."  Times 10 projects/clients at a time...

crayon, you old enough to remember "basic" or dos5?

yes.