<?php
// Set up our error check and result check array
$error = array();
$results = array();

// First check if a form was submitted. 
// Since this is a search we will use $_GET
if (isset($_GET['search'])) {
   $searchTerms = trim($_GET['search']);
   $searchTerms = strip_tags($searchTerms); // remove any html/javascript.

if (strlen($searchTerms) < 3) {
      $error[] = "Search terms must be longer than 3 characters.";
   }else {
      $searchTermDB = mysql_real_escape_string($searchTerms); // prevent sql injection.
   }

// If there are no errors, lets get the search going.
   if (count($error) < 1) {
      $searchSQL = "SELECT id, house_price, bedrooms, propType FROM subjects WHERE ";

// grab the search types.
      $types = array();
      $types[] = isset($_GET['house_price'])?"`house_price` LIKE '%{$searchTermDB}%'":'';
      $types[] = isset($_GET['bedrooms'])?"`bedrooms` LIKE '%{$searchTermDB}%'":'';
      $types[] = isset($_GET['propType'])?"`propType` LIKE '%{$searchTermDB}%'":'';

$types = array_filter($types, "removeEmpty"); // removes any item that was empty (not checked)

if (count($types) < 1)
         $types[] = "`bedrooms` LIKE '%{$searchTermDB}%'"; // use the body as a default search if none are checked

$andOr = isset($_GET['matchall'])?'AND':'OR';
      $searchSQL .= implode(" {$andOr} ", $types) . " ORDER BY `house_price` ASC "; // order by title.

$searchResult = mysql_query($searchSQL) or die("There was an error.<br/>" . mysql_error() . "<br />SQL Was: {$searchSQL}");

if (mysql_num_rows($searchResult) < 1) {
         $error[] = "The search term provided {$searchTerms} yielded no results.";
      }else {
         $results = array(); // the result array
         $i = 1;
         while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($searchResult)) {
            $results[] = "{$i}: {$row['house_price']}<br />{$row['bedrooms']}<br />{$row['propType']}<br /><br />";
            $i++;
         }
      }
   }
}

function removeEmpty($var) {
   return (!empty($var)); 
}
?>
<?php include("includes/header.php"); ?>
   <div id="content">
      <?php echo (count($error) > 0)?"The following had errors:<br /><span id=\"error\">" . implode("<br />", $error) . "</span><br /><br />":""; ?>
      <form method="get" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>" />
	Search For: <input type="text" name="search" value="<?php echo isset($searchTerms)?$searchTerms:''; ?>" /><br />
         Search In:<br />
         Price: <input type="checkbox" name="house_price" value="on" <?php echo isset($_GET['house_price'])?"checked":''; ?> /> | 
	Bedrooms: <input type="checkbox" name="bedrooms" value="on" <?php echo isset($_GET['bedrooms'])?"checked":''; ?> /> | 
         Type of Property: <input type="checkbox" name="propType" value="on" <?php echo isset($_GET['propType'])?"checked":''; ?> /><br />
                 Match All Selected Fields? <input type="checkbox" name="matchall" value="on" <?php echo isset($_GET['matchall'])?"checked":''; ?> /> <br /><br />
         <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search" />
      <?php echo (count($results) > 0)?"Your search term: {$searchTerms} returned:<br /><br />" . implode("", $results):""; ?>
  </div>
<?php require("includes/footer.php"); ?>

And I want it to be so when I return the search, it will come up with the results looking like this www.sampleestateagent.com/buying.php

Instead of returning it like this http://sampleestateagent.com/search.php?search=house&propType=on&submit=Search

Which part of my code do I need to change so I can put the divs in there of what it will return?

$results[] = "{$i}: {$row['house_price']}<br />{$row['bedrooms']}<br />{$row['propType']}<br /><br />";
   $i++;
}

Simply change the contents of this loop. Example...

$div = '<div class="menu-name">Home ' . $i .'</div><div class="buying-text">';
$div .= $row['house_price'] . '<br />' .  $row['bedrooms'] . '<br />' . $row['propType'] . '<br />';
$div .= '</div><div class="image"></div>';

$results[] = $div;
$i++

I did that but got an error (not sure if I did it right)

The error is Parse error: parse error in C:\wamp\www\estateagent\search.php on line 51

$div = '<div class="menu-name">Home ' . $i .'</div><div class="buying-text">';
		$div .= $row['house_price'] . '<br />' .  $row['bedrooms'] . '<br />' . $row['propType'] . '<br />';
		$div .= '</div><div class="image"></div>';
		$results[] = $div;
		$i++
         }
      }
   }
}

Also, I don't actually want to display bedrooms price or property type as I only made this to make the search function easier,  all of them will be included in the content so i only want it to be for the use of the database to find them.  Is that ok to do?

I now have this

$div = '<div class="menu-name"> ' . $i .'</div><div class="buying-text">';
$div .= $row['content'];
$div .= '</div><div class="image"></div>'

How can I make it so in the menu name I can put ['menu_name'] (like what's happening with buying-text for ['content'])

And also on the menu-name it needs to link to the page with this code

echo "<a href=\"buying.php?page=" . urlencode($subject["id"]) . 

But that's from this function

function public_navigation($sel_subject = null, $sel_page = null) {  
        $subject_set = get_all_subjects();
        // 5. Use returned data
        while ($subject = mysql_fetch_array($subject_set)) { 

/*----*/   

if(!isset($_GET['page'])) {
        echo "<div class=\"menu-name\">"; echo "<a href=\"buying.php?page=" . urlencode($subject["id"]) .
            "\">{$subject["menu_name"]}</a>";  echo"</div>";
	echo "<div class=\"buying-text\">";  echo "{$subject["content"]}";  echo"</div>"; echo "<div class=\"image\">";     echo"</div>";

}//

}
    } 

Yeah that's worked thanks.  One last thing, how would I put this link there

echo "<div class=\"menu-name\">"; echo "<a href=\"buying.php?page=" . urlencode($subject["id"]) .

It's from an include file

function public_navigation($sel_subject = null, $sel_page = null) {  
        $subject_set = get_all_subjects();
        // 5. Use returned data
        while ($subject = mysql_fetch_array($subject_set)) { 

/*----*/   

if(!isset($_GET['page'])) {
            "\">{$subject["menu_name"]}</a>";  echo"</div>";
	echo "<div class=\"buying-text\">";  echo "{$subject["content"]}";  echo"</div>"; echo "<div class=\"image\">";     echo"</div>";

}//

}
    }

If you can't work that out for yourself I have to say, you are way out of your depth. You are going to do nothing but run into problems and come asking questions here if you attempt to dive right in and do something of the complexity your trying. You need to learn the basics first.

I am out of my depth and probably from the site you can see I'm more of a designer then a coder, and I've built pretty much the whole CMS following a tutorial, but as a designer you can't really get work unless you show experience of some coding experience which is what I'm trying to do with this project, just to get my foot in the door.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.