thepip3r

5 |
4 |             .
3 |      .
2 |         .      .  .
1 |   .
   ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
       a b c d e f g

in my graph, the x axis heading values are actual date strings and they are vertically oriented using imagestringup().  i've tried assigning the value of imagestringup to a variable and then use that for the imagerotate() but i get an error when i do that.  can anyone point me in the right direction pls?

for($i=0;$i< $total_points; $i++){ 
# ------ Extract key and value pair from the current pointer position
list($key,$value)=each($array); 
$x1 = $margins + $gap + $i * ($gap+$bar_width);
$x2 = $x1 + $bar_width; 
$y1 = $margins + $graph_height - intval($value * $ratio) ;
$y2 = $img_height-$margins;
imagestring($img,0,intval(($bar_width-(strlen(trim($value)) * 6.5)) / 2) + $x1,$y1-10,$value,$bar_color); # numeric values written to screen
$temp = imagestringup($img,0,$x1-2,$img_height-5, date("m/d/y D", $key),$bar_color);	# x-axis heading values	
imagerotate($img, 90, 0);
imagefilledellipse($img,$x1,$y1,5,5,$bar_color);
if ($i > 0) { imageline($img, $x0, $y0, $x1, $y1, $bar_color); }
$x0 = $x1;
$y0 = $y1;		
}
header("Content-type:image/png");
imagepng($img);

Warning: imagerotate() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in public_html/trigeo/graph_line.php on line 157

when i change the above code to:

$temp = imagestringup($img,0,$x1-2,$img_height-5, date("m/d/y D", $key),$bar_color);	# x-axis heading values	
imagerotate($temp, 90, 0);

right and i understood that... i'm trying to rotate the x-axis headers say 45 degrees so they're not vertical but slightly angled.  all of the examples i can find are just creating a rotated image on the fly but not one that is created within the context of an existing "graph" image. 

do i ahve to create that x axis value as a separate image or something and then merge it into the graph body in order to get the x-axis headers rotated correctly?

Alex -- worked like a champ.  http://www.zigsdigs.com/trigeo/graph_line.php

now i just have to figure out how to calculate the x-offset so the end of the line is adjusted to the actual point instead of the start of the lean.

i always read the manual, i just got to imagerotate() and got stuck and never looked any further -- my bad.  ty for the help guys.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.