Do not know what to call this problem with Auto Increment and Sequence Number

surajkandukuri

Hi,

I have table sample with 2 columns IngID and Employee Name with IngID being Auto increment value and primary key

I had 3 records in my database, After I delete 2 records and try to add a new record IngID becomes 4 which should be 2 (as records 2 and 3 are deleted)

What could be the problem?? and The solution for this

Auto Increment only goes one way, up. Deleting a row will not change the value in a downward manor. Also I think once a database is live and for public consumption its a bad idea to delete any rows. But that's me.

It only goes up cause think about when you have more rows. If you have 100 rows and delete rows 2-9 and 45, 63, 72 each row already has an auto increment value. If the value goes down to match the row count then you are either going to end up with doubles of already existing id's or you are going to end up causing the db to do more work then it should by not only matching the row count but making it go down the list changing each variable to match it. Then you get into other dynamics that are just to much to start typing about. To many x factors so to speak that can break ones system if they are developing a dynamic site. If everything's static then I can understand I guess.

That's the way it's supposed to be.  Otherwise you would have to update the ids/links/html/etc for all of your products every time you deleted one.  Products are put into a database with a primary key so that they have just that.  A PRIMARY KEY.  One number in particular that identifies it for as long as it is in the database.

True, once you delete id's you maybe have endless phantom numbers out there, but hey.. it's like having a spare tire or something.  You can always query a database of any size to find the missing numbers..  It won't hurt the integrity of your database whatsoever.. at least I wouldn't think it would.

And you would need quite some time to use all IDs that INTEGER datatype can hold (4 billion+).

It bothered me too at my beginnings with databases, but then I started to think along these lines: these values are for the machine, not humans, and machines don't care if something looks nice or not.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.