Keep date NULL when updating record

_spaz

Is it possible to keep a date field in a mysql NULL rather then it updating it to 0000-00-00 when i update other fields?  When I do a record update for other fields it takes the null values in the date fields and changes it to 0000-00-00 everytime.  How do I prevent that from changing and leaving it as NULL?

UPDATE table

SET Service='$Service',Provider='$provider',Date='$date'

WHERE id = '$id';

Acutally, unless they have changed something, you can set a DateTime field to NULL.  But, take a look at the example code:

UPDATE table
SET Service='$Service',Provider='$provider',Date='$date'
WHERE id = '$id';   

This is explicitly assigning a value to the Date column.  If $date is an empty string or 0 (zero) or NULL, you are still assigning a value to the column.  What would this look like if we assigned some values to those variables?

UPDATE table
SET Service='HardWork',Provider='LazyBoy',Date=''
WHERE id = '$id';   

Look at that, we are assigning an empty string to Date.  That is not a valid DateTime value.  And, according to the documentation, the server will set the column to that special "zero date" (0000-00-00 00:00:00).  If you want to set the column to NULL, you have to do so just like setting any other column to NULL:

UPDATE table
SET Service='HardWork',Provider='LazyBoy',Date=NULL
WHERE id = '$id';   

NO QUOTES around that.

My first reaction was to use an IF statement as in :

UPDATE table
SET Service='$Service',Provider='$provider',Date=IF('$date' = '', NULL, '$date')
WHERE id = '$id';  

Which seems to work.  But only if $date returns an empty string.  I decided to try something a little more robust to see if we could set NULL if the date was invalid.  So I tried $date + INTERVAL 0 DAY, and strangely enought that returns NULL if $date is empty. I had expected it to return the zero date.  So, in MySql 4.1 (yes I know, I'm WAY behind the times here), the following should always set Date to NULL if $date does not contain a valid MySql date.

UPDATE table
SET Service='$Service',Provider='$provider',Date='$date' + INTERVAL 0 DAY
WHERE id = '$id';  

My first reaction was to use an IF statement as in :

UPDATE table
SET Service='$Service',Provider='$provider',Date=IF('$date' = '', NULL, '$date')
WHERE id = '$id';  

Which seems to work.  But only if $date returns an empty string.  I decided to try something a little more robust to see if we could set NULL if the date was invalid.  So I tried $date + INTERVAL 0 DAY, and strangely enought that returns NULL if $date is empty. I had expected it to return the zero date.  So, in MySql 4.1 (yes I know, I'm WAY behind the times here), the following should always set Date to NULL if $date does not contain a valid MySql date.

UPDATE table
SET Service='$Service',Provider='$provider',Date='$date' + INTERVAL 0 DAY
WHERE id = '$id';  

You rock:) Works perfectly!!  Thanks again.

You can't always leave a column out of the update statement.  If there is currently a value in the database and the user (or the process) decides that it needs to be removed, then you have to set the column to NULL.  I don't know who decided that putting invalid data in the database (meaning a zero date) is better than throwing an error when a date is out of range, but IMHO it is a very bad idea.  The database is "doing us a favor" by allowing an insert or update to run, but we get stuck with data that is not valid.  So, instead of "SELECT * FROM schedule WHERE date IS NULL" we have to use "SELECT * FROM schedule WHERE date IS NULL OR Date = 0" (Note that you can't select where Date = '' (empty string) even though that was the way it was input).

From most of the code I've seen here, people like to have their SQL "pre-built" and just fill in the blanks.  Some use sprintf(), most seem to use the style our OP did here (UPDATE Table SET column1 = '$var1', column2 = '$var2' ...).  I've generally avoided both approaches, because: a) I don't like putting variables inside a string, it just feels wrong.  (I know that is a great feature of PHP, but I avoid it;) and b) it makes it impossible to set a value to NULL, the best you can get is an empty string.  (Which is invalid for a date, and is why we are in this topic in the first place). 

In the database world, NULL has a completely different meaning from an empty string (or zero'd integer).  NULL means there is no value (or we don't know the value); and an empty string means the value is known, it is nothing.  Sometimes you need a NULL.

The code (I suggested) is not pretty, but it provides a wordaround to the problem of the database "truncating" an invalid value and inserting something other than what was provided.  A better solution would be:

$sql = 'UPDATE table ' . 
'SET Service=' . (empty($Service) ? 'NULL' : "'$Service'), " . 
'Provider=' . (empty($provider) ? 'NULL' : "'$provider'," .
'Date=' . (empty($date) ? 'NULL' : "'$date' " . 
"WHERE id = '$id ';  "

which I accomplish using a couple of home-grown functions:

$sql = 'UPDATE table ' . 
'SET Service=' . quoteString($Service) . ', ' . 
'Provider=' . quoteString($provider) . ', ' .
'Date=' . quoteStringNull($date) . ' ' .
"WHERE id = '$id ';  "

quoteString() returns the supplied value, escaped and enclosed in single quotes. quoteStringNull does the same thing, except if the string is empty it returns the string NULL without the single quotes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.