PHP Huge file upload problems

thenewperson

Trying to get upload script to upload huge files. I changed my php.ini file and allowed for 5 gig files to upload. I changed the php script to allow 5gigs files. However no matter what size i put, it always trigers the error File size is greater than limit. The file is 4 gig and hosting plan is unlimited transfer so on.

The upload system im using is

http://webdeveloperplus.com/jquery/multiple-file-upload-with-progress-bar-using-jquery/

its pretty straightforward and there are 2 options for size. I changed both but this problem still happens. Wondering why i cannot upload 4 gig files.

open your php ini file and check for these values. The first one should be on, And the second one should have the maximum values of 5gb or wht ever u want,

the third one should also have the same value as of second

the fourth value is the tmp directory where the files will be stored temporarily. so this should have the necessary space required.

when any of these four fails it will give u this error.

file_uploads

post_max_size

upload_max_filesize

upload_tmp_dir

just checked it in my localhost it is working fine, change the function in the index.html like this. but when u use of the server it mail fail due to time out.

$(function(){
    $('#swfupload-control').swfupload({
        upload_url: "upload-file.php",
        file_post_name: 'uploadfile',
        file_size_limit : "999999999",
        file_types : "*.*",
        file_types_description : "Image files",
        file_upload_limit : 5,
        flash_url : "js/swfupload/swfupload.swf",
        button_image_url : 'js/swfupload/wdp_buttons_upload_114x29.png',
        button_width : 114,
        button_height : 29,
        button_placeholder : $('#button')[0],
        debug: false
    })

just checked it in my localhost it is working fine, change the function in the index.html like this. but when u use of the server it mail fail due to time out.

A localhost scenario will not give you a good indication of how long the process would take. The client/server in your ase is on the same network so it is bound to be faster. Over a web connection is a different matter.

To transfer that amount of data should be done through ftp and definately not through a web browser. At least ftp can recover if the transfer pauses. I would hate to get to 4.9gb out of 5 and then it stop and have to start again.

i have tried the same scenario on my server actually the transfer rate is quite too slow and the other case is that it is getting dropped middle in the half way when we upload >:( , so the better solution for this one is u use divide the file into the 100mb file sizes and use the upload function...

if the scenario is of the local systems then u can use it out with out any problems..

hosting plan is unlimited transfer so on.
that's what they'd like you to believe.

nothing in this world is unlimited.  keep upping those 5GB files and i guarantee you, you'll be getting an email from your provider.

same way my ISP promoted "Unlimited Bandwidth!" .. only for me to find out that yes, the bandwidth is unlimited, but after 60 Gigs i start paying $x per Gig.

just be careful.  and go the FTP route.

open your php ini file and check for these values. The first one should be on, And the second one should have the maximum values of 5gb or wht ever u want,

the third one should also have the same value as of second

the fourth value is the tmp directory where the files will be stored temporarily. so this should have the necessary space required.

when any of these four fails it will give u this error.

file_uploads

post_max_size

upload_max_filesize

upload_tmp_dir

I have all these settings already and a memory limit one. I also tryed readjusting the size for flash but still fails. Pops up the file is greater than limit even though file size i said to allow is grater than the file im trying to upload. small files work but 4 gig file wont upload. I think it has something more to do with the uploader itsself. A

For everyone else thanks for the input. Ill lowe the allowd size after i get this to work just for learning purposes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.