degrading gracefully

abazoskib

ive built a custom cms that required a lot of ajax and js. are there any good tips or tricks for common ways to have certain things degrade gracefully? i know that not everything can be accomplished without js and ajax which is why i let the rest of the people who use it know, but for peace of mind i'd like to throw in some better functionality.

i know that not everything can be accomplished without js and ajax

Why not?

AJAX, at it's core, is essentially the client script invoking the server side script's methods/functions and displaying/manipulating the results without a page refresh.  There's no reason not to have a design that can do nearly identical if a user causes the invocation instead.

AJAX shouldn't be a requirement of your site/CMS.  You should design it to work properly without JavaScript first, then add it on top of that proven foundation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.