SMS gateways that support PHP

monkeytooth

Hows it going everyone..

Today I am deciding to add some SMS based notifications to one of the sites I am working on. The site is mostly done up in PHP. So naturally I want to find a SMS script/service that I can port into with PHP (or javascript or both).

I am looking for your expert advice and opinions. As to what service(s) are good and what ones I should avoid. I am looking for 2 types of services/scripts

one free just so I can tinker with the concept and see if its something I really want to do.

two since I know a free service/script isn't going to allow me much options and have a cap of some sort somewhere that will limit me in the long run I will need a service that I will most likely have to pay for to not have limits.

If any one of you has researched similar for your site or sites you have worked with, or has actually used a service like I am trying to find out more about please leave a post.

I am working on a site that is projected to have roughly 1 million regular users within the first 8 months, more that half of which are expected to use this SMS option if provided. So any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance for your help

Don't I need some form of gateway though, a service provider of sorts? To send the actual message's from site to phone? Thats what I guess I am ultimately looking to find out, but one that works in a way that I can use php on my end to get the results I need, Im pretty sure the building of the xml can be done on my end via php.

As for the number of messages a month, we are looking maybe a couple thousand in the first month or 4, but there after as the services progress as projected we expect outbound messages to get into the millions

Well that's what I am talking about. A SMS service provider's gateway usually has a XML over HTTP or SOAP interface. You need a tiny bit of PHP to connect to their server over HTTP, send and receive XML. That's it. No more no less.

The licence on the site I linked to is based on a per/minute message count. Taking 'a couple of thousand' to be 2000 and an average month to include 30 days.

30 x 24 x 60 x 60 = 2,592,000 seconds in a month

Based on your 2000 in a month that's only 1 every 21 minutes (roughly). Even the cheapest licence on the site at EUR 590 does 5 per minute. But the chances of your messages being evenly spread is remote, you are likely to have periods where you will need to send far in excess of that amount.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.