Passing JS to PHP

canadabeeau

So I have the following

<?php
getdetails(?><script type="text/javascript">document.write(jsvariable)</script><?php );?>

The idea is that the getdetails() will process the JS output rather than doing mysite.com?data=jsoutput as I REALLY REALLY RALLY dont want urls like that. So why cant I get it to work, I think I have a syntax problem with opening and closing the getdetails()

Any help appreciated

So why cant I get it to work, I think I have a syntax problem with opening and closing the getdetails()

Syntax problems are the least of your worries. You seem to also have a complete misunderstanding of client / server relationships and where php and Javascript fit in. PHP is executed on the server long before it is sent to the client, while Javascript is sent to the client and then executed. They are literally worlds apart.

Okay I need to pass the output of the JS which can ONLY be done in JS to a PHP variable, now I don't want to use (or cant) use forms or the URL method, so how can I, all suggestions welcome

PS I understand PHP is server side and JS is client side, nevertheless I still need to do what I am after

Javascript can be run on the server just fine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server-side_JavaScript

No kidding. But it doesn't contain a document object.

I'm sure the OP doesn't really need to be confused further by being made aware.

As far as I can tell, he is only using document to output things. I have never used any of the SSJS implementations, but I'm sure they support basic things like outputting to stdout.

Depending on what kind of JS he wants to execute, I don't see why he couldn't use something like exec to execute it on the server with an SSJS implementation.

Depending on what kind of JS he wants to execute, I don't see why he couldn't use something like exec() to execute it on the server with an SSJS implementation.

Could also use this simple js interpreter (j4p5) written in php.

Okay I need to pass the output of the JS which can ONLY be done in JS

What does the js do?

Here is the JS

<script type="text/javascript">
        var macs = {
            getMacAddress : function()
            {
                document.macaddressapplet.setSep( "-" );
                alert( "Mac Address = " + document.macaddressapplet.getMacAddress() );
			document.write(mac_string);
            },

getMacAddressesJSON : function()
            {
                document.macaddressapplet.setSep( ":" );
                document.macaddressapplet.setFormat( "%02x" );
                var macs = eval( String( document.macaddressapplet.getMacAddressesJSON() ) );
                var mac_string = "";
                for( var idx = 0; idx < macs.length; idx ++ )
                    mac_string += "\t" + macs[ idx ] + "\n ";
			document.write(mac_string);
            }
        }
    </script>

Which is thanks to a Java Applet for getting MAC address, so any ideas no that you know the code

Take a look at jQuery's library, it makes ajax simple.

For example...

$.ajax({
  type: "POST",
  url: "http://yoursite/process.php",
  data: {
    'mac': mac_string
  }
});

would be enough to send the mac_string data back to process.php on your site. Within process.php it would show up within $_POST['mac'].

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.