DNS Question

woolyg

Hi all,

I'm doing a bit of reading on this but I can't find a clear answer - hopefully someone can help me.

I'm looking at setting up a home web server - a box running Ubuntu Server 9.10 essentially - to host a development site that I'm working on. The domain name is bought, and the server is set up and working on the internal network, but I'm having a bit of trouble grasping DNS for the domain name registration.

Is it absolutely necessary to have 2 public fixed IP addresses for proper DNS listing? BIND DNS is set up on the Ubuntu box, so is it possible to set up ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com with the registrar, and have both DNS settings point to my home server?

The reasoning for running the home server is because my scripts are quite CPU-intensive, and shared hosts have expressed dimay at me hogging the CPU, so I'm looking into this.

I'm basically looking to see if the DNS that is installed into the server is sufficient, or do I need to specify another NS.mysite.com listing, that is set up on a different IP?

All input appreciated.

WoolyG

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.