CSS Template

shane18

I been using tables since I started programming 9 years ago to make my sites template... I want to start using CSS to make my template... is nesting divs the best way? well what i mean is... is nesting divs way better than having tables everywhere?

Nested DIV's is perfectly fine and necessary in most cases.

However, depending on the data you need to use the proper methods. If it is a blog you are designing then the CSS / DIVs is definitely the way to go. But if you are trying to display tabular data from a database, I would stick to tables.

Hope that helps.

Just be careful of these two things:

1) Don't try to mimic tables with divs. Divs are not tables. They are used very differently.

2) Don't get divitis - overuse of divs. Use divs if you are creating a division on the page. Use <p> tags if its a paragraph. Use <ul> tags if its a list. Use <blockquote> if its a blockquote. Divitis is almost as bad as tables in its own way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.