Problems with strings containing <?

jdh

Hey all,

I have encountered something strange in a script.  I am trying to write an XML header and then fill in the file:

$xmlFile = "fetchableData.xml";
$fh = fopen($xmlFile, 'r+');

$housingData = updateHousingAndReturnXML();
$xmlData = '<?xml version="1.0" ?>'.$housingData;

// echo $xmlData;

fwrite($fh,$xmlData);
fclose($fh);

This code fills the file with the contents of $housingData, but <?xml version="1.0" ?> is not added.  If I break up <? it will add it but then I get errors when parsing the XML. 

Echoing the string also doesn't work with <?

I guess what is happening is that the string is getting parsed by the PHP engine for some reason.  Escaping <? doesn't work.

I am assuming I am missing something basic.  But the manual doesn't say anything about <? being parsed in strings.

Help?

Thanks!

echo '<?xml version="1.0" ?> returns nothing.

updateHousingAndReturnXML() opens a webpage (using cURL), parses is with PCRE, and then returns a section of XML as a string.  The XML returned by the function is stripped (doesn't give the information tags) so I am trying to add them by adding <xml version="1.0" ?> to the string before writing it to the file.

echo '<?xml version="1.0" ?>' doesn't appear in the source (nor in rendered page).

I DOMDocument builds XML files from a tree that you have already stored into a bunch of the DOM objects.  It is a way to do it, but would involve rewriting a lot of functions like updateHousingAndReturnXML() that build xml sections as strings.

Yeah, it should not parse as anything different. It works on my WAMP/online server echoing that string, but I have seen other people report this problem before.. Therefor I can conclude it's a server configuration issue of some sort.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.