PHP & Javascript

bacarudaguy

I'm wondering if it's possible for JS to create and fill a variable that PHP can read? My ultimate goal is to take a value from a <select> <option> drop-down and use it to dynamically create a certain number of input fields.

Example: The <select> drop-down has 1, 10 and 100 listed. The user selects 10, and PHP dynamically creates 10 text inputs on the page. (NOTE: the <select> drop-down is being filled from a populated table in the database)

Is something like this possible or is JS better off being used alone... :shrug: I know VERY little JS (although I'm noticing lots of similarities to PHP) and I'm really not sure how to go about something like this... ::)

Thanks!

If you're only wanting to dynamically create input elements there's no need for PHP at all. Here's an example:

<script type="text/javascript">
function makeInputs(number)
{
document.getElementById("inputs").innerHTML = '';
for(var i = 0;i < number;i++)
	document.getElementById("inputs").innerHTML += '<input type="text" name="name" /><br />';
}
</script>

<form method="" action="" onsubmit="return false">
<select id="number" name="number" onchange="makeInputs(this.value)">
<option value="1">1</option>
<option value="2">2</option>
</select>
</form>

<div id="inputs">
</div>

You can change this line:

document.getElementById("inputs").innerHTML += '<input type="text" name="name" /><br />';

To something like this:

document.getElementById("inputs").innerHTML += '<input type="text" name="name_' + i + '" value="' . i + '" /><br />';

To make the names like: name_0, name_1, and the value would be the number.

Alex - I've got it implemented and working. Made a few changes to fit my application which wasn't terribly hard. My next question may be a bit trickier...

I am using the drop down <select> that is dynamically generated from a table in my db. It has 4 columns...

$query = "SELECT p_id, p_name, p_places, p_payout FROM points";

The p_places is the column that populates the value of <option value="">. The p_payout column is an array of the point values assigned to each payout place. I've attached a pic to help explain.

My question is in the JS you provided, is there a way to loop through the entire array from the DB to populate a text input field with the array?

Hope that makes sense... :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.