MD5 and php

skoobi

I have a POS system which uses a local mysql server and it stores the stock and stuff in the database in MD5...

What i am trying to do is to pull the data from the database and insert it into a php file which will be uploaded to a secure website so that the managers can view the stock or reports at any time... The problem i have is because the POS is saving the data in MD5 e.g. the product names, i dont know how to get that information onto a php table layout...

Any ideas or is it not possible..

Cheers

Chris

it stores the stock and stuff in the database in MD5..

That's unlikely, because MD5 is a one way hash(checksum.) Once a value has been hashed, the only thing you can do with it is to perform comparisons with another MD5 hash value to see of the two original values are equal (with a high probability, because two different original values can produce the same MD5 hash value.)

Yes, MD5 hashes are useful for passwords for example, since if they were leaked they could (without rainbow tables..)cannot be 'unhashed' and in that format can be simple for comparison and validation of the user's password.

Assuming you're on a secure server, your database contents should be safe, if you have employees or something with database access than you can encrypt it with one of the crypt functions, although that'd be a bit overkill.

This is what i thaught but its confused the hell out of me... Its an opensource POS app which has been created in Java... heres one of the product names ' 01e055dc-e9f7-432f-89a1-7642df1a388b ' It doesnt make any sence to me as it has no relevance to anything else in the database...

I do appologize im having a bit of a crisis day its an random id number in the product desc. which is being used for stock aswell...

Sorry for wasting time sorted now

No problem, We're here to help. If you have anything else to ask don't hesitate  :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.