Retrieving of PSN trophy stats.

Chrisbes32

Hey there, first of all I'm going to be completey honest with you and admit I know barely anything about HTML/PHP/CSS coding at all and am currently reading many tutorials which I hope can give me a bit of background knowledge.

Now onto my main question, I am staff on a PS3Trophy site (I won't link it because I am not sure on this sites ad policy) and we would like to implement automated tropy cards such as this

card.png

. On that site all you need to do is insert your PSN ID and an email adress and it gathers your trophy details. What I would like to know is how it does it and how it could be implemented to my site. After doing a bit of rooting around and talking to some people this is the info I have gathered;

Oh lol, it's actually very simple, and doesn't require a dev kit that some people keep talking about, a dev kit can't even connect to the PSN like retail machines do, you can't view peoples trophies on dev kits.

Anyone can do it, they just need to know where to look and how to handle the data

Right now I'm grabing the HTML (ex: http://profiles.us.playstation.com/p...ofiles/BeNeXuS) and looking for specific tags, then saving this information so I don't have to go to Sony's site every time (I refresh data on request o every 6 hours)

I have a couple of services on my site that provide the information, you can take a look at http://www.ps3argentina.com.ar/API/psn.asmx

But, for heavy demmanding app or commercial use I have a page thats return JSON, but you will need a key (and will be a payed service)

If anyone could make any sense of this and help me out I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks.

I do believe we do have a policy against blatant advertising, but I'm intrigued which site your affiliated with so I don't think there's any harm in telling us. To my knowledge Sony do not provide an official API for the PSN Trophy system, having said that I do have an iPhone app that can tell me what trophies I've earned I'll have a look and see what details I had to give them to achieve this perhaps based on this I will be able to calculate how they did it.

The site is www.ps3trophies.co.uk, at the moment we currently have manual trophy cards where by you go through the list of games and tick the trophies of the current games you own. The problem with this is that it is very time consuming and very dull, so a lot of people are either just not doing and not bothering about their leaderboard position, which is the reason why our leaderboard is very outdated and incorrect comparerd to the closest there is to an official leaderboard (www.psnleaderboard.com) or leave the site and go to one which has forums and an auto updating leaderboard/gamercards. When I say automatic, you do have to a press a refresh button on your profile but then it grabs your stats for you.

Thanks for your reply.

Ahh, interesting. I'm a member of your site and use it fairly regularly to see what trophies games have before I buy them and to find out how to get some of the trickier ones :) I have filled in very few of the trophies I have got using the manual system because as you say it is fairly tedius. I'll have a look and see what I can find out for you, unforutunately it's not going to be today. I'm round at my mates house having a gaming day and we're currently half way through a bottle of jack daniels so I feel any research I did at the moment wouldn't exactly be productive :) I have a feeling that the iPhone app that I use required my PSN login details, which means it probably uses cURL to login to the site as the user and simply parses the HTML that the official website returns. This isn't neccessarily complicated but could be time consuming to implement. It will also 'cock-up' if Sony ever make any changes to the layout of their site and may well break the 'Terms and Conditions' for both the PSN id and the 'site' logging in. I would guess this is how sites such as the one you mention work, hence the fact it only updates when you click 'refresh', this means that it only has to fetch the information from the site once.

Are you interested in a version that requires your members (ie www.playstation.co.uk) login details, or are you looking for an alternative method?

Well I doubt many people would warm to the idea of having to give out their PSN password. So I think that a method involving their password would not be the best way. From my knowledge .com's auto updating required you EU PSN ID to be up to date on the official site, then it took it's info from there. The other major site relies on no such things though, just just need to put in an emal and your PSN ID.

Do you mind if I ask what your username on the site is? I may have seen you around.

My username will probably be the same as it is on here, so 'cags', or possibly 'cagsy', I can't really remember as my browser logs me in automatically and I'm not at home atm. As I said I generally browse the site without really being logged in. I literally just checked it to find out what some of the hidden trophies are for the new Ratchet and Clank as we are currently playing through it and just completed the main storyline.

As you say people are likely to not like the idea of entering their PSN password, because you could in theory just harvest these passwords and use their credit cards to buy things on their accounts, or just download the games they have bought onto your playstation. Though perhaps it would be a good way to unlock lots of trophies as between all your members you probably have access to all PSN games ;) .

I'd imagine the other sites you mention also rely on using cURL or similar scrapping techniques, but perhaps it is possible to access the information without the user being logged in, I'll have to look into that. If the site you mentioned works (www.psnleaderboard.com) I'll probably sign up just to see exactly what information they require and what information it allows them to provide me. Unless they are official sanctioned and have access to facilities that the average Joe doesn't then mimicking them shouldn't be too difficult. If all they display is totals it's possibly they are simply OCR'ing the official PSN GamerCard, if they actually have details for individual games I'm really not sure how they are doing.

Either way it's going to be a case of watch this space I'm afraid. :)

When you enter your PSN ID we'll look at your eu.playstation.com account and generate a sexy looking trophycard for you to post around the web.

In order for this to work, though, you need to have an eu.playstation.com account AND you need to have previously created a Sony Portable ID.

When you want to update your Playfire Trophycard, head on over to eu.playstation.com, go to their Portable ID section, and press the "Update" button. This will then update your Playfire card.

North American gamers can get their Playfire Trophycard too -- just follow the same steps as above by logging into eu.playstation.com. It's a little weird doing that, we know, but it works fine and gives you a cool looking trophycard!

Enjoy!

That is from the Playfire site. Wonder if that can help anyone.

• 2 months later...

Does playstation/xbox offer a way to retrieve these values that won't break with updates to their layout?

Unfortunately, not atm(to my knowledge). It sucks that they don't provide an API.

EDIT: Wow, now I see what you're talking about. Didn't know that Sony changed the trophy layout. DAMN YOU SONY!

Does playstation/xbox offer a way to retrieve these values that won't break with updates to their layout?

Unfortunately, not atm(to my knowledge). It sucks that they don't provide an API.

EDIT: Wow, now I see what you're talking about. Didn't know that Sony changed the trophy layout. DAMN YOU SONY!

lol ya. I'd actually devote some time to developing this if it was worthwhile but being these two large companies they aren't going to keep stuff right longer than a few months.

Yeah, I'll do a little investigation to see if there might be a better way to accomplish this.

lol ya. I'd actually devote some time to developing this if it was worthwhile but being these two large companies they aren't going to keep stuff right longer than a few months.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.