Opacity problem

lindm

Have a problem that the text in a container also gets the opacity of the parent container. I want the opacity of the text to be 100 or 1 depending on browser. Se code below.

<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
span#vtipc {
position: absolute;
left: 5px;		
padding: 16px;
background-color: black;
-moz-opacity: 0.75;
opacity:.75;
filter: alpha(opacity=75); 
width:400px;
z-index: 9999;
}

span#vtip {
font-size: 10px;
color:#FFF;
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<span style="font-size:36px"> BACKGROUND TEXT</span>
<span id="vtipc"><span id="vtip">TIP TEXT</span></span>
</body>
</html>

An element can never have a higher opacity than it's parent. So if the container has 50% opacity, then the text at 100% opacity will only have 50% overall opacity.

So to do what you want, you have to put your text outside the container, then use either relative or absolute positioning to move the text over top the container. The problem however is that you can't have dynamic lengths of text or your positioning will get messed up, unless you use javascript to change the size of the container as necessary. But this won't work with any users who have javascript turned off.

OR, you could just use a png image with partial transparency. I understand IE6 will not support for this, but then again, I'm sure getting absolute/relative positioning to work with JavaScript in IE6 is impossible as well.

It reference to Haku's method:

An element can never have a higher opacity than it's parent. So if the container has 50% opacity, then the text at 100% opacity will only have 50% overall opacity.

So to do what you want, you have to put your text outside the container, then use either relative or absolute positioning to move the text over top the container. The problem however is that you can't have dynamic lengths of text or your positioning will get messed up, unless you use javascript to change the size of the container as necessary. But this won't work with any users who have javascript turned off.

This method will work. However, there is a better way of doing this.

<div class="parent">

<div class="semi-transparent"></div>

<div class="main-content">

.... content ......

</div>

</div>

/* Now just add some css: */

.parent {

position: relative;

}

.semi-transparent {

opacity: 0.5;

background: blue;

height: 100%;

position: absolute;

}

This may not work because I am not sure if the absolute positioned div will stretch vertically to fit the parent. I rarely if ever use absolute positioning - it should rarely be used.

Keep it simple kid. Use a png image.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.