Basic Forum Tutorial

hagerstown21742

Hi, I'm new to PHP.  I want to build a basic forum for my site using PHP and MySQL.  I've searched the 'net, but every tutorial I found the writer seems to get 'too technical' after a few steps.  I try my best to keep up, but it gets very frustrating for a beginner. 

I'm looking for a tutorial that will instruct me with just the basics, remember, I'm just a beginner.  I want a basic tutorial that will instruct me on how to build the database/tables, how to link the tables, pages, etc.  I was referred to this site, but was not able to find a tutorial for a basic forum.

As an FYI, I do not want to download and insert a third-party forum app.  I want to be able to write the code from scratch, install it, tear it apart, break it, and then rebuild it.  This would be the best way for me to understand the workings of a forum, build from it, and move forward with my new found knowledge.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Actually, one of the best ways to learn the working of a forum, or any other type of php app, is to actually download an existing script and tear THAT apart and work with it, rebuilt it, etc.

That's how I'm learning. Although, I'm learning on scripts that my former programmer built for me, I've also downloaded scripts to do the same.

TechMistress, do you know where I can download a simple basic forum to work with?  I never thought of taking that approach.

By the way, that's probably the best username around!  Why do I feel guilty replying to you?  It's all in good fun :D

Thanks for your quick response, I greatly appreciate it!

Daniel0, thanks for your reply.  Since you're the Administrator, do you recommend a well written forum I can use?  Can you point me to a site with a forum tutorial that's well written, in your opinion?

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah. What i'd recommend is go for a tutorial that tells you the proper concepts, and security practises.

It'd be much more recommended than just looking at a good 'example', you may think it's a good way (it is for a lot of reasons) but , it lacks explaination of how it is composed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.