Javascript or not?

Cardale

I prefer to keep it PHP just to keep it all tight and in one package. JS is not to be relied on. I'd classify ajax navigation and all that into the 'fancy, but useless' part in mind.

Agree with you. I also prefer to use clean PHP rather mixing it with JS.

The reason I ask is this.  Personally I prefer the straight PHP site because I know it will work, but if you use sites like face book or gmail you can obviously see advantages.  The debate to make even after seeing this is hard.  I just don't mind going to the next page to do things..not to mention if you are working on a fast web server it usually just snaps there for me any way.  Has anyone done any tests to see if server load is higher when running say a facebook style site compared to a punbb site for example?

I personally like to use a mix. For example, every form I use, be it login form, or register forms I like to use both js and php validation. Mainly because if you use js validation (and the users have not turned js off) you dont have to rely on the server to check forms and can be done locally. However I would still use PHP to validate the forms incase the users turn js scripts off.

This just saves a bit of server load, nothing too fancy but i think it makes sense to do it that way that just rely on PHP scripts and server-side all the time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.