make <div> behave like <a> tag?

adredz

i have a div that has a onclick attribute. the problem is i can't right-click(to open to a new tab) on it and it won't display the target link on the browser's status bar. i know i can insert a <a> tag, but it requires a text for the link and it would make things complicated for me since i already have the background image of my div marked with text. any help?

It's bad practice to use javascript for opening links, as users without javascript turned on will not be able to use the link.

Change the div to an <a> tag, and apply your background to that. It will fix all your problems, including the ones you didn't realize you have.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a div that has a onclick attribute. the problem is i can't right-click(to open to a new tab) on it and it won't display the target link on the browser's status bar. i know i can insert a <a> tag, but it requires a text for the link and it would make things complicated for me since i already have the background image of my div marked with text. any help?

You can wrap the div in an ancher tag, this would allow it to be clicked, and rightclicked accordingly (as long as it's in the div itself and not in interelements)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.