Help - PHP Chat SCRIPT

GIrish BM

Why in the world is this in Math Help?

Also, to the OP, no one's going to code it for you unless you're willing to pay. Have you tried anything?  Or researched anything?  Have you looked into AJAX?  (Or do you want to do it with Flash or Java or something?)

It's not possible to have a "live" chat over HTTP.  be "live" I mean the instant that a person on one computer writes a message it shows up on the other computer(s).  The closest you'd be able to get is using AJAX to refresh the message list every few seconds, but then there will still be a pause between the time when a message is written and when it shows up.  I haven't been able to figure out how to make instant chat, though I haven't really diligently tried, but it's obviously possible since Google does it.

but it's obviously possible since Google does it.

If you use Firefox and have the add-on Firebug installed then you can monitor how this is performed most likely: polling.

I use IE, and I won't change to Firefox, and I don't really NEED to know how it's done, though it would have come in handy a few months ago when I was helping a friend with a chat script.

but it's obviously possible since Google does it.

If you use Firefox and have the add-on Firebug installed then you can monitor how this is performed most likely: polling.

I use IE, and I won't change to Firefox, and I don't really NEED to know how it's done, though it would have come in handy a few months ago when I was helping a friend with a chat script.

You won't change to firefox despite the performance enhancements, the numerous addons, AND the better security? Wow...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.