Second Variable Not picking the values

never_rain

Hi,

I am new into this. However, I have been using one line Rewrite rule to rewrite those URL's that are using single variable. Here is what is in my .htaccess

RewriteRule ^(.*)\.html$  /index.php?pg=detail&catTitle=$1 [nc]

and the a href code is as follows.

<a href="<?=$webPath?><?= str_replace(' ', '-', $viewcat['contentURL'])?>.html" >

Till here it works perfectly. Now I wish to re write for category. Here is what I am trying to do

RewriteRule ^category/(.*)/(.*).html$ /index.php?pg=dssGallery&catId=$1&catTitle=$2 [nc]

here is the a href code.

<a href="<?=$webPath?>category/<?= $viewcat1[pk_id]?>/<?= str_replace(' ', '-', $viewcat1[cat_Title])?>.html" >

Now the problem is.. The second rule is also going to the first page. It's not reading the second rule at all.

Please take a look and let me know where I am wrong.

I'll be really greatfull.

Your PHP code is fine. Its your rewriterules which are at fault. I do not recommend using (.*) as it is greedy. You should be more specific with your regex partterns. Such as if you want to match only numbers use ([0-9]+), or for strings use ([A-Z0-9\-_]).

I'd setup your rules as such

RewriteRule ^category/([0-9]+)/([A-Z0-9\-_]).html$ /index.php?pg=dssGallery&catId=$1&catTitle=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^([A-Z0-9\-_])\.html$  /index.php?pg=detail&catTitle=$1 [L,NC]

Your PHP code is fine. Its your rewriterules which are at fault. I do not recommend using (.*) as it is greedy. You should be more specific with your regex partterns. Such as if you want to match only numbers use ([0-9]+), or for strings use ([A-Z0-9\-_]).

I'd setup your rules as such

RewriteRule ^category/([0-9]+)/([A-Z0-9\-_]).html$ /index.php?pg=dssGallery&catId=$1&catTitle=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^([A-Z0-9\-_])\.html$  /index.php?pg=detail&catTitle=$1 [L,NC]

Just out of curiosity wildteen88, why choose to escape the dash rather than simply place it after the underscore?

[A-Z0-9_-]

I assume this Regex convention passes through to mod_rewrite. At the end of the day it makes no difference, I'm just wondering if you have a reason for doing it that way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.