which linux system?

runeveryday

i want to learn and practice the development of php and sql in linux system,but there are too many linux system,i don't know which one i should choose.who can tell me the best or better linux system to develop php.eg: ubuntu ,centos...any tips would be appreciated.

CentOS and Fedora are usually the choices for web servers due to the power of the built in networking/server ability, but it is not really a recommended operating system for beginners. If you are wanting to develop PHP, any one will do (Ubuntu is a very user friendly, but powerful distribution based on Debian that has a good package manager and supports SQL/advanced networking).

You can after install a AMP installation such as LAMP (Linux Apache/MySQL/PHP) server and development will be very simple from there.

• 5 weeks later...

I advise ubuntu/debian. It has loads of packages which you can easily install. E.g. phpmyadmin. I'm not sure can you get that with centos by default.

sure ubuntu is good candidate for a newbie but i really doubt if debian could be classified as an easy distro for any newbie to use as a first... in my own experience, it's even easier to pick up and get up to speed with fedora/centos than it is with the "almighty" debian  ::)...

but if such a newbie just itches for something a bit harder than the norm, then u could use the debian, help abounds everywhere though so he might no have problems as such..

i would also like to recommend suse, fedora, centos, mandriva...just a few

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.