What Servers Do You Recommend?

Fog37

I'm looking at jumping into PHP full force, so I need some recommendations. Where can I get a good server to start, what OS should I use and anything else would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for some helpful responses.

Generally one would wish to start with Linux, as it's more flexible and functionatic compared to ISS (vs Apache).

CentOS is a server OS that is used mainstream for hosts, vps and dedicated, And I prefer it over Fedora (which..costs money.)

What are you exactly looking for? There are plenty of good shared hosts out there such as Host Gator, and Lunar Host. If you're looking for amazing quality and support (such as cloud, VPS etc.) Rackspace is where you want to go.

If you're looking for a solution that would let you work with PHP locally, there's probably nothing simpler than an Ubuntu or Linux Mint system with Apache.

Mhmm. Locally is the best way to go, If you're not knowing of PHP (just on a hunch), then with a WAMP/LAMPP server you can locally run PHP just like you would normally test HTML documents, but through a localhost server such as '127.0.0.1/mysite/file.php'.

If you're wanting to Install ubuntu, when finished you can install lampp with the following command: (similar on most distros)

sudo apt-get install lampp

And to start the server

sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start

Now /opt/lampp/htdocs/file.php will be accessable and parsed via http://127.0.0.1/file.php

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.