MySQL Security

BennieC

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is ACL?

How can data be distributed to many users, on their own computers, without the risk of it being accessible other than through the application.  I believe Interbase has file protection on their files as had Paradox where you need a password to open the file.

B

You can always move this file to other computer and open it with binary editor. Whether you will be able to make anything of it (like writing a script that will read the contents) is quite another way.

MySQL has possibility to create password protected user accounts. Each user can be assigned privileges for specific actions down to column level. You can also encrypt data stored

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/encryption-functions.html

Hi,

Could I set up the tables such that a specific user can see some columns in such a way that not even root or any other authorized user has access?  If the db is transported to another computer, no-one will be able to take these restrictions away?

B

Could I set up the tables such that a specific user can see some columns in such a way that not even root or any other authorized user has access?

You're not making much sense here. Permissions are set by the owner, you can't chmod some other machine's folders without you having owner access.

chmod 000 file.db

:P

My problem is that root has access to everything.  I would therefore not be able to distribute the data with only the app having access to it.  Anyone could install MySQL, make himself a root user and dig into the data himself.  Is this understanding correct.  If it is do you by any chance know of a way to protect the data?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.