Feature Idea: Video Tutorials

I was wondering if you would consider adding a video tutorial section or subsection to the tutorial section of the main website.

I just feel that video tutorials are much easier to learn from than typed tutorials as you can code along with the tutorial and the author of it can better explain the thought process/best practices/concepts used as they go along.

Also, (I haven't seen this on any website) perhaps a text area on the same page as the video so that users will not have to switch back to their editor etc. as they write the codes, or can even be used for note keeping. The text area could also have a syntax highlighting feature (in AJAX/Java or whatever) for the language which the tutorial uses.

Please let me know what you think of this idea, I understand that it's not a simple implementation but I believe it could bring more users and page hits to the tutorials section of phpfreaks and help a lot of programmers learn to code.

I was wondering if you would consider adding a video tutorial section or subsection to the tutorial section of the main website.

I just feel that video tutorials are much easier to learn from than typed tutorials as you can code along with the tutorial and the author of it can better explain the thought process/best practices/concepts used as they go along.

Also, (I haven't seen this on any website) perhaps a text area on the same page as the video so that users will not have to switch back to their editor etc. as they write the codes, or can even be used for note keeping. The text area could also have a syntax highlighting feature (in AJAX/Java or whatever) for the language which the tutorial uses.

Please let me know what you think of this idea, I understand that it's not a simple implementation but I believe it could bring more users and page hits to the tutorials section of phpfreaks and help a lot of programmers learn to code.

It's only a matter of preferrence. Some don't like wanting to have to load slow videos and wait for them to progress (except for absolute begginners.) Also the bandwidth part is a problem as well. Imagine there are 10 tutorials, each ~100mbs(7:00) each (a proper size for a video quality enough to display text clearly)

1GB/person just to view them all. And then.. 1000 views over the next few months? 100x1000 = 100,000MBs, or roughtly .1 Terabytes.

There's no safety in assuming there won't be 'that' much traffic. 1000 views on this popular (for programming) site is not too off. May by even more..

Fair point, how about embedding youtube videos and letting google take the bandwidth hit tho? lol

That's where it goes wrong. It's just not acceptable to use youtube and embed it as a video tutorial on this (reputable) site. Youtube as well does not like HD content as much, and it does add 'related videos' and other useless features tacked onto it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.