Graphics Card Doesn't Show TV

The Little Guy

I recently got a graphics card, and I have the s-video connected to the TV. The computer detects that the TV is there, but there is only a black screen. When I change the graphics settings in the Nvidia control panel, the TV sometimes flickers and displays my desktop background (in black and white) and goes back to black, and same happens when I change a setting related to the TV. There also is no "Setup TV Wizard" in the Nvidia control panel.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Info:

- EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9500GT

- Windows 7 32-bit

- 550W power supply (card requires 300w)

hmm are you sure your card has a tv tuner installed on it? that s-video is probably just an out jack, not a tv tuner that actually takes it as input and descrambles the signal.  I did a quick search on the model you listed and it seems to list the s-video as out.  You need to buy a pc tv tuner card/usb device in order to watch tv on your pc.  Some of the higher end graphics cards may have that built in but most do not.

hmm are you sure your card has a tv tuner installed on it? that s-video is probably just an out jack, not a tv tuner that actually takes it as input and descrambles the signal.  I did a quick search on the model you listed and it seems to list the s-video as out.  You need to buy a pc tv tuner card/usb device in order to watch tv on your pc.  Some of the higher end graphics cards may have that built in but most do not.

He means S-out -> S-in on TV.

OP, Here's a nice article on some problems and workarounds on TV output on those types of cards:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t61279.html

You set up different signal types (such as PAL/NTCS/HD) and sig frequencies on that way, should resolve the problems!

I didn't get the card to watch tv, I got it to play video from my hard drive (and so my computer doesn't crash). Sorry I should have mentioned that. I do have a tv tuner on my computer though, by it only has s-video in, not out.

@oni-kun I will take a look and try that out!

What makes your TV? If you attempt to view an S-Video signal in RGB mode it will appear black and white. Bare in mind also that s-video only supports a very low resolution.

NTCS resolution for a standard definition tv (SDTV, 4:3) is 576 * 432, don't think there's much of a worry.  :tease-03:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.