What page am I on?

owner

I am getting some pages out of a mySQL database, but I am trying to display what page out of totalpages they are on.

For example: Page 4 of 5

How would you figure out that it is the 4th page out of 5 and then display what would be on the 4th page?

One problem I am running into is that the id's of each page do not go in order so I cannot do totalpages-currentpage to figure out what page I am on.

To get the total pages, I am just using:

SELECT COUNT(pid) as count FROM Pages WHERE category=%d

(%d is replaced by a variable using sprintf() that denotes what category the pages are in.  For example, this category could hold 5 pages. )

Thanks in advance!

owner

No you can't use the date because when you add 2 pages on the same day your screwed :) Just do as premiso said add a order column and on each new entry use a query liked described below:

SELECT max(order) AS max_order FROM pages;
INSERT INTO pages (.., order) VALUES (.., $max_order);

After you delete a page:

SET @page_order = 0;
UPDATE pages SET order = @page_order + 1, @page_order = @page_order + 1;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.