Protecting Your Software?

hkothari

I know this is a complex topic and all, and you can't really protect your php software because in its executable from it's its source, but I was just wondering how companies require a key for their software to work like vBulletin for example? Like how do they require you to pay for it and have a key before you install it? Just curious. Thanks.

I know this is a complex topic and all, and you can't really protect your php software because in its executable from it's its source, but I was just wondering how companies require a key for their software to work like vBulletin for example? Like how do they require you to pay for it and have a key before you install it? Just curious. Thanks.

VBulletin uses some annoying homecalls to prevent an enduser from installing it without a purchased key. Although it's just as easy to remove (effectively nullifying the homecalls) and get the software for no cost. My point isn't piracy, it's that that method is not secure in any means.

You can't really stop people disributing open source code although you could ask for payment for the software and once you have received the monies send the user a download link where they will have to login to access, or just email a zipped package. One method to ensure that the software cannot be distributed is to ask the user for the domain where they will be installing your software. before you send the software to the user you could add somewhere in the code so it will only function on that domain. Once you have done this you could encrypt the codebase so it cannot be modified.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.