Understanding the basics.

YourNameHere

Hi,

I am trying to start learning mod rewrite. I have read several blogs and other articles about it. They all have assumed knowledge that I don't.

What I am wanting to achieve seems fairly simple.

My directory structure looks like this.

localhost/testServer/websiteName/

C:/xampp/htdocs/

- testServer

- websiteName

- index.php

.htaccess

I want the mod_rewrite to 'catch' urls from index.php and change them from index.php?tutorial=$1 to look like /websiteName/tutorial/$1

however, I have pasted the sample codes from different blogs in and it doesnt work at all.

so I guess I am asking for someone to take a look and find my issue. ( I know through phpinfo() that the module is active)

htaccess

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>  
RewriteEngine on  
RewriteRule index.php/([a-z]+) /websiteName/index.php?tutorial=$1  
</IfModule>

I renamed the htaccess file to htaccess from .htaccess

So yes, you do have it back to front, the way mod_rewrite would generally work is you would make all your links on your site the latter of those two, then mod_rewrite will convert it back to the 'ugly' URL. In theory you could perhaps mod_rewrite in both directions (but it means anybody viewing links on your page will view the 'ugly' format), but anything after the question mark is a query string and as such will not work with the RewriteRule in the manner your attempting, you'd have to use something more along the lines of RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING}. But you'd be much better off switching the two over.

...switching the two over.

Like so?

RewriteRule  /websiteName/index.php?tutorial=$1 index.php/([a-z]+)

Edit: Never-mind, that didn't work. I think I missed your point.

I tested it against this url:

http://localhost/testServer/Majesticlicks.com/index.php?tutorial=lightBursts

should look like:

http://localhost/testServer/Majesticlicks.com/tutorial/lightBursts

You want all URLs to look like the second one right? So you need to make all URLs on your pages look like the second one. The RewriteRule is then used to rewrite all URLs of that format into the format the actual file is stored at.

RewriteRule /testServer/Majesticlicks.com/[^/]+/[^/]+ /testServer/Majesticlicks.com/index.php?$1=$2

Therefore you are taking the URL you WANT and rewriting it to the ACTUAL URL.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.