application structure

coffeecup

My ability to describe may be off format from the person seasoned in code.

I am in the middle of building tables and have just began to read into indexing at the MySQL manual and subsequent reading in High Performance MySQL and the information on Index eludes to query text search.

And now i am in a quandary as to which way to go.

Do Developers use Indexing in MySQL in hard coded data storage and retrieval with out a aim to use a query box to search.

And does indexing assist in Joins to group multiple data into a $query = when there is only one $query = , per server request.

The web application that i am aiming to build is similar to My Face, yet would tailor to business`s to show case their individual offering to the public. Call it virtual mall without e commerce ?.

The static app model that i have built with XHTML / CSS has a 7 count list item option as well as a 1 M character count, appropriate headings and a image and address of course.

I have worked through a basic understanding of PHP and can work with PHP code and am at this time working into MySQL.

What i have come to see with MySQL is it seems everything is centered around a user query text search.

What i am looking at is zero query search, a hard coded code that would display either in a drop down menu or a text item h ref in a anchor to a personal page for each business, that the business has created with pre formatted form fields to output the page from a choice from one of two templates.

What would be the benefits to use MySQL.

What would be benefits to create a PHP file based app ?.

If using MySQL  would it be beneficial to use multiple index`s in a hard coded app.

Any advice and reference to "read this" from people seasoned in code would be helpful.

Thank you

I did find: MySQL manual 5.1 - 7.4.4. How MySQL Uses Indexes

my difficulty with many things is i need a visual, view of the whole landscape, with index there is a lot behind the scenes, a lot i need to read and put into the brain cells to get a full understanding to view the big picture.

I do not take any thing for granted.

Thank you

Indexes increase the speed at which MySQL can find data when you issue it a query.  It doesn't matter who or what generated the query.

What would be the benefits to use MySQL.

What would be benefits to create a PHP file based app ?.

Open source, widely available, lots of support, easy to get started, etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.