Regular expressions IP search

manrooster

Hello, this thing searches for 1 IP inside a file.

Example.

root/ipaddresses.php  - this file has a bunch of IP addresses.

root/index.php  - this file has a code to search for IP addresses inside root/ipaddresses.php.

This is the regex code to find an IP address.

#\r\n?|\n#

I found the code above on the web on some site that doesn't explain it. I've also google'd that line of code and I got no results.

My point is to get that code to find any IP address plus anything I tell it to.

What the heck do you mean? You ask.

Example.

Those three IP addresses above are something that the regular expression code will find. It will not find an IP address like this below.

127.0.0.1h
123.1334.342.23t
b434.232.432.134

Did you notice those letters at the end or beginning of the IPs? I want the regular expression to be able to find 1 single letter at the front or the begging of the code. The letter doesn't really matter as long as it can read it in that format; the letter and IP.

Where ever you got that regex at you should read better or pay more attention to what you grab. That regex will match a windows line ending or a unix line ending.

This preg_match will put the IP from a line as you loop through a file into the array match.

preg_match('/^[A-Za-z]?[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}[A-Za-z]?$/',$line,$match[]);

HTH

Teamatomic

Whilst teamatomic's pattern may work, I don't personally see the point in anchoring the pattern at the start and end of the lines and match letters before and after, may as well simplify it to something more like...

'#[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}#'
// or even
'#(?:[0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}#'

Of course this will still pick up values that aren't valid IPs so shouldn't be used for validation, but for scraping purposes they should be fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.