Can anyone tell me the benefits of PHP?

asuthosh

That's a difficult question to answer given the criteria.... none.  PHP is a great language, but to point out its "benefits" compared to nothing at all would be no different than replying to you with a blog about the peacock that lives down the street and all the benefits of living on a street with a peacock on it.

If you're just jealous because you can't write the same way as "facebookster" then I'd say PHP has at least one benefit; like making someone jealous and envious for one.  It seems to hold this power that makes people want to learn it, know it, ask people to learn it, pay them to "make it", etc..  That's just how cool PHP is.

Low learning curve compared to other serverside scripting languages

Available on pretty much every host

Proven to be successful for both small and big sites (facebook and yahoo both use PHP)

Relatively few things you have to learn to get started <?php echo "Look at me, I'm writing php!" ?>

Widely used, and thus well documented and there's tons of great tutorials for it

Easy to set up for local testing with wamp

Object Orientated Programming is optional instead of forced onto you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.