Paypal ipn

isedeasy

I need to pay members of my site via paypal and once the transaction is successful it needs to run a script. Can IPN be used this way?

I have used the IPN successfully the other way around but I am struggling to get my head around it now.

What's the best way to go about this?

Cheers

As far as I'm aware, IPN is only used for reporting on payments that you have received - I'm not sure there is even anything in their API offerings that allows you to send money, other than refunds, of course..

Not entirely true. IPN (Instant Payment Notification) is used with Paypal Standard Payments. It is used to make an HTTP request to a target once a payment has been made (whether successful or not). This is used lets say if you had an e-commerce store, when a user goes to Paypal to pay for an item a background request is sent to your web server indicating the status of the payment. This allows you to process the order within your own system, i.e. record in the database that a payment has been made, etc. This gets rid of the classic Paypal issue where a user must return to your website to process an order correctly.

In terms of making payments to other paypal accounts the IPN is not for this. However Paypal do have the Adaptive Payments API allowing you to make payments to various sources. You may want to check this out https://www.x.com/community/ppx/adaptive_payments

Or, you could simply contact your Paypal account manager and ask them.

The new style Paypal developer network is quite new so it could well be or as it states they have just opened it up to the community rather than just for bespoke systems like accounting software that needs the functionality to work with Paypal.

However, I fuckin hate Paypal. Their documents are tedious, the support for development kits is non-existent and they change stuff without making you aware so your whole system goes tits up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.