testing css

Pickle

hi everyone

i have a question about testing css in different browsers. basically so far i have been using the following to test my sites in different versions of ie. http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

however i have read in certain places that it doesnt actually work. in other words it doesnt show you the right output of your code compared to how it would show if you actually had a proper version of i.e 6 on your machine.

i have also read about virtual machines but to do this you need resources which i dont have.

what do you guys suggest in this situation? how do you usually test your sites to make sure theyre all good in most browsers?

thanks in advance

hi thanks for the replies.

xcoderx --> not sure what you mean by your reply.obvisouly i have all other browsers i want to test in i.e. ie8, firefox, opera, chrome etc but the issues is with ie and its many varying versions. i need to make sure they work in ie8, ie7, ie6

seventheyejosh --> thanks ill look into wine since im not sure about virtual machines.

thanks

A warning that it can be buggy, but it gets the job done. And you can only use it on *nix systems, AFAIK. So mac or linux OS and you're golden. Windows though, you'll probably have to do some virtualization, or that dll business with the browser versions.

ANNDD... :P

If you're running Safari, you can go to preferences and turn on developer tools, then under the new menu tell the page to render in whatever user agent you want!! All ie's, even iPhone, Opera, etc. I know this is at least on OSX, but haven't played with it too much or tried it on Window's Safari

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.