Upgrading from 5.2.0

Basically I've inherited a webserver and I don't think it's been updated in a while. Anyway all the web work I've done in the past has all been on externally hosted servers so having to deal with keeping the server upto date is pretty new to me.

So whats the best way to update PHP and most importantly how to make sure disruption is kept to a minimum and that all the settings are kept exactly the same \ files going.

Apache we have is 2.0.54 and MySQL is 4.1.22 so do I HAVE to update these at the same time or can I do these at a later date?

You're easiest route... safest.. less work.. etcetera.  Would be to download Wampserver (assuming you're on windows)

http://wampserver.com/en It's all up to date.  All you have to do is save the files you want to save.. and put them in the www folder when it's all said and done.

Because yes, I would recommend upgrading Apache and MySQL too and WAMPserver is a complete package with all the latest packages.

Then, you can start your Wampserver and if you start to get errors... just fix them one at a time.  Most likely though since it's just PHP 5.2.x you won't get that many if at all.

I can't say the same for MySQL though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.