Dynamic DNS server pitfalls?

eekeek

I've been successfully running a few dev servers from home for a few years using dyn dns's services. All be it the Custom DNS service (which simply means I can use my own domains).

In the past I have had mail servers on this setup without trouble, but since Google apps has been around I haven't had the need to bother anymore, all my mail is handled by them.

edit: Suppose I should mention that I would likely also run production servers from home if I could get the speeds, but for now, I just run a few dev web & svn servers.

FTP support would be ok.

Its the emails thats the problem.

If you don't send emails from a proper IP with RDNS setup it will be put in as spam.

You could relay your emails using a mailhost.

Bottom line: for proper mail delivery inbound and outbound, you'd need a fixed IP with a rdns setting.

-steve

Thanks for the input guys. I guess what I’m really trying to decide is what direction is best for me to take right now as far as the dynamic vs. static IP goes. My goal is straight forward - learn about apache (and ubuntu) by building a live server. - yep, I know I have a long road ahead of me.

Things like being able to send mail from the php mail function are important to me.

Right now I have a dynamic ip over a 25/15 fiber connection.

Currently I’m working with an xubuntu server, a dynamic DNS / zoneedit.com enabled router , and two virtual hosts using my domains.

Do you think I’d be better off right now to just forge ahead the dynamic DNS route or just take the “bottom line” approach and get that static IP?

Do you think I’d be better off right now to just forge ahead the dynamic DNS route or just take the “bottom line” approach and get that static IP?

Up to you really. Static ip's aren't normally allot more expensive (at least not through my isp), Ive just never really needed one.

Things like being able to send mail from the php mail function are important to me.

Sending mail is easy, its receiving it that can be more difficult. I use Gmail (with my own domains) for all my mail. Its easy enough to setup ssmtp to send mail through Gmail's mailservers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.